Somebody's getting left out of the CFP today, and they're not gonna be happy

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.
BrentVU

Somebody's getting left out of the CFP today, and they're not gonna be happy

Post by BrentVU »

Leaving all biases aside, whom do you think deserves to be in?

I'd say Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Florida State... but I'll bet the sheer force of will of Saban and the SEC knocks out 13-0 Florida State.

Sorry, Georgia, you have no one to blame but yourself.
JWCommodore

Re: Somebody's getting left out of the CFP today, and they're not gonna be happy

Post by JWCommodore »

I actually don't see how it could be any more simple, you have 3 undefeated power 5 conference champs who have earned 3 spots. For the remaining spot you have 2 one-loss conference champs, who conveniently played each other this season. Texas goes over Alabama. The SEC gets left out this year. To penalize an undefeated team because one of their best players is injured is wrong. So is rewarding a one loss conference champion because of the past and or perceived superiority of their conference. How dominant was the SEC vs the other power 5 teams this year? Answer: 7-9
BrentVU

Re: Somebody's getting left out of the CFP today, and they're not gonna be happy

Post by BrentVU »

"Look, Bill Hancock said, 'It's not the most deserving,'" Smart said. "He said, simply, 'It's the best four teams.' So you're going to tell me somebody's sitting in the committee room and doesn't think that that Georgia team is not one of the best four teams?

"I'm not sure they're in the right profession, because it's a really good football team, it's a really talented football team, it's a really balanced football team. They have to make that decision. But it's the best four teams, and that's critical."

Sorry, Kirby, I don't think that's going to fly, not this year.
Vandy_Law07

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

In a way, could argue Texas is already an SEC team IMHO. Headed there next season, and beat its Champ this season.

Personally, my 4 best (if that's the criteria) would be Michigan, Texas, Alabama, and UGA. A little worried that one of Washington, or even FSU (w/back-up QB) is at risk of getting TCU'd somewhere along the way here.
commadore

Post by commadore »

BrentVU wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:24 am Leaving all biases aside, whom do you think deserves to be in?

I'd say Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Florida State... but I'll bet the sheer force of will of Saban and the SEC knocks out 13-0 Florida State.

Sorry, Georgia, you have no one to blame but yourself.
I completely agree. Even though I am an SEC fan, I believe Georgia blew their chance and (despite all my friends yelling at me last night) Alabama certainly shouldn't get in over a Texas team that beat them and dominated in their conference championship game. Next year will be a different story. In the mean time, I will enjoy all the papers and talk shows that bemoan the fact that the SEC was shut out.
Versus75

Post by Versus75 »

BrentVU wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:24 am ... I'll bet the sheer force of will of Saban and the SEC knocks out 13-0 Florida State.
JW is correct in my thinking that it should be very simple, at least regarding the 3 undefeated Power 5 champions.

If that’s NOT the case, then why have several weeks of CFP polls building up to the finale?

The most recent CFP Poll had Ohio State 6, Texas 7 and Alabama 8. Ohio State didn’t play while the other 2 are now conference champions — so they could move up a notch. But why should 7/8 Texas/Alabama jump ahead of Florida State which also won a conference championship?

But then, like Brent, I wouldn’t be surprised if Saban and the SEC get their way. Unfortunately for Florida State, if Alabama gets in it means that Texas gets in as well and FSU is booted.
ForsythCountyDore

Post by ForsythCountyDore »

Got to be FSU. Don't think they beat anyone given the issues at QB.
troubadore

Post by troubadore »

Without their QB, there is no chance that FSU could beat UGA, AL, Ohio State, Washington, Michigan, Texas, Oregon, and maybe even Liberty or James Madison. All season my thought was FSU would be a lock if they finished undefeated, and was happy they had a great season, but putting them in the playoffs now would be a complete waste of a coveted spot, and semifinal game.

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Texas
4. Alabama

FSU will not be happy, and for good reason, but realistically they'll get crushed, or as another poster described it, "TCUd", if they're chosen.

Michigan v Texas in the finals.
Nashmann

Post by Nashmann »

Should be an 8-team playoff!
VU1970

Post by VU1970 »

Seems none of the problems that the playoff system was designed to address have been solved. No better off than when we had dueling poll champions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic