Another portal pickup from VT: MJ Collins

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.
AuricGoldfinger

Another portal pickup from VT: MJ Collins

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Two years of eligibility remaining.

The 6-foot-4 guard averaged 7.4 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game while shooting 34.8% from the field and 26.5% from 3-point range. :?

https://vanderbilt.rivals.com/news/vand ... mj-collins

All future Vanderbilt players will first do a stint in western Virginia.
Jason94

Re: Another portal pickup from VT: MJ Collins

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:37 pm Two years of eligibility remaining.

The 6-foot-4 guard averaged 7.4 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game while shooting 34.8% from the field and 26.5% from 3-point range. :?

https://vanderbilt.rivals.com/news/vand ... mj-collins

All future Vanderbilt players will first do a stint in western Virginia.
On the plus side he had decent assist numbers and took good care of the ball. The bad is how poorly he shot the ball, though he did hit 84.4% of his FTA this season and is at 82.7% for his career. This is tempered by the fact that he is 27.4% from three for his career on 175 attempts, which is not a small number. I would think that he was starting for VaTech due to his defense, but don't have anything to base that on other than VaTech had a good offense last season.
Nashmann

Post by Nashmann »

I hope he blossoms. A little underwhelming though as we need shooters and so far his numbers not great.
Last edited by Nashmann on Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

His best offers besides VT were Clemson and Xavier. Then it was a bunch of the usual mid-majors.

Is this who we kicked West to the curb for??

VaTech was 10-10 / 19-15 since that was going to get asked.

Now for the glass half full side: he had 18 vs UNC and 17 vs Duke. So he plays up to the better competition it seems.

His assist to TO ratio was good last season. We need that. You have to value possessions... right Jason?
vandycreek

Post by vandycreek »

People let the coach have a chance to fail or succeed.
vandamnit

Post by vandamnit »

The Rivals article was pretty hot on him as a good fit for Vandy, suggesting he'd be our best ball handler and an excellent defender. It also projected him as a starter (we shall see what else the portal yields). I do like his size, similar to Lawrence.
mathguy

Post by mathguy »

I would have liked to keep West and seen what he grew into.

That said, if we are looking at this guy vs. West in a vacuum, it's not clear this guy isn't better. West was a low production freshman with potential. This guy seems to have at least a little more polish on him ... though the shooting numbers are a concern.

We shall see.
GoheenFan88

Post by GoheenFan88 »

I like the ball handling and defense he brings we definitely need. The shooting percentage isn’t great but imo that can be corrected.

Welcome aboard
Jason94

Post by Jason94 »

Here is another way to look at Collins - his shooting numbers are essentially a little worse as Lawrence's were this season - a little less efficient overall due to more assists and a lower turnover rate, but not wildly different. He also purportedly took on the opponents' best offensive player each game and has good size at 6'-4", meaning that he can reasonably defend the 1, 2 and 3 spots. Of the players who attempted 2 three pointers per game this season, the players on our team that shot better than Collins were - Taylor and Kamateros. Collins shot better from three than Lawrence, Lewis, and JRT and would have led our team in FT%.

Given that he was a reasonable starter on a power 5 team that was much better than we were last season, I'd suggest that he is an upgrade over the players we currently have, and an upgrade over most of the players we had last season.
bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

Not being mentioned are his impressive passing and amazing hops. He could easily be a go-to guy for backdoor lobs.

And no, he would NOT miss dunks from the clips I saw. SEC athletic ability like the players our guys go up against.

I'm not ready to compare him to David Thompson meets Dr. J but his athleticism is a good matchup vs the bigtime D-1 opponents.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic