transfer portal

For fan discussion of the glorious Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.
blackgold61

transfer portal

Post by blackgold61 »

Could someone that is close to the baseball program please explain to me why we don't use the portal like the majority of SEC teams. Is it the money available(or not)? Does it have something to do with the University as far as academics? Or is it CTC and the way he prefers to run his program? Or maybe it's all of the above.
bhoyal

Re: transfer portal

Post by bhoyal »

A&M has two starters from the Ivy League and a starter from Stanford.

That series isn't going too great at the moment.
Molly levy

Post by Molly levy »

jacob Humphrey, Sawyer Hanks, Jayden Davis, Levi Huesman, and last year RJ Schreck
Levon

Post by Levon »

Molly levy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:06 am jacob Humphrey, Sawyer Hanks, Jayden Davis, Levi Huesman
Observing from my Lazy-Boy where I'm rarely...OK, never...consulted on roster building, the transfer portal looks to be a bit of a crapshoot. LSU hit the jackpot last year with Skenes & White. A&M clearly did really well this season. Someone last night (Scrappy, I think) said that 7 of 8 Aggies position players are transfers (I don't know how accurate that is, but it seemed every guy who has come to bat for them this weekend transfered in from somewhere). Corbs, as Molly noted, brought in 4 transfers, which is a lot for him. Davis has been solid, but not a program changer, Huesman has struggled, Hawks has been completely ineffective and now it seems he's injured and possibly out for the season, and Humphreys has been largely invisible, though he has had some moments. There's no Skenes or White or the #3 A&M hitter (I don't recall his name) to be seen. My point, just because you tap the portal doesn't necessarily mean it will make you better.
Charlestonalum

Post by Charlestonalum »

blackgold61 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:12 am Could someone that is close to the baseball program please explain to me why we don't use the portal like the majority of SEC teams. Is it the money available(or not)? Does it have something to do with the University as far as academics? Or is it CTC and the way he prefers to run his program? Or maybe it's all of the above.
All of the above. I just hope Corbin does not do what Sabin did: quit in protest to the new "college game." This is the worst time to be a coach: everything is uncertain, unstable and changing rapidly. No time for feint of heart - including old loyal fans like most of us.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tim Corbin has always been about developing players, which is good. He likes to bring in talented freshmen and make them into MLB players. I'd like for him to realize that he can transfer in solid student-athletes from other prestigious academic universities and develop them as well. He has done that some, but probably needs to increase that number. A lot of talented players would give their right arm to be in Nashville getting a great degree in the SEC's best city.
Scrappy

Post by Scrappy »

Look at the top 4 teams in the SEC, Ark, A&M, UK, and UT. All lineups built with transfers. The type of transfers Vandy brought in are not the same. Vandy brought in a sophomore with little power in Davis. And another of a roster full of speedy guys in junior with no power Humphreys. You already have that guy in Hewett. The transfers that the other schools brought in were graduate students or seniors who had some pop and a history of hitting. I will add Georgia to this list as well as they rebuilt their lineup around Condon with older power guys and they mash as well. I do not know what it is but Corbin seems to take a speedy fielder over over hit first player every time. He is stuck in the BBCOR era it seems.

Pitching in the portal is the crap shoot. Not hitters. The way to win in todays game is load up on pitching recruits, which Vandy does in spades, and bring in seasoned hitters like Arkansas and A&M have done. If you want to develop players, you better not miss in recruiting. Which Vandy has for the last few years since goober came aboard.

This roster is so mangled due to roster mismanagement and horrible recruiting by the recruiting coordinator who also sucks as a hitting coach. RJ playing first because you don't recruit prototypical corner infielders and outfielders. Before Holcomb was finally put in the lineup, we had one guy over 6 foot and it was Hewett at 6'3 who is good for a bunt single every now and then and some stolen bases. Our infield is 5'11, 5'10, 5'11. 5'11. Our OF before Holcomb was 6'0 LaNeeve, feathery 6'3 Hewett and 5'11 Polk. All are the same, no natural hitting ability. Then you have Espinal who in his 4th year can finally hit mid major pitching but still sucks at SEC level pitching. Why can you not recruit some big guys who can hit to add to the plethora of petite fielders you have. We have a roster full of 6'4 plus pitchers.

It would be one thing if these guys were elite hitters. But go look at the high school stats of these guys. Most hit in the .300's in high school with a couple of home runs. If they can't hit in high school at an elite level, they will not hit in the SEC. The best hitting stats in high school were from some of the pitchers. Let that sink in. They are looking for a certain type of player, a field first athletic guy hoping to teach how to hit. That was great before the gorilla ball era started. It is not going to work anymore.

I hate, no I loathe UT. But you have to give that snake coach some credit. He goes out and brings in guys that rake in high school and teaches them how to field. He identifies hitters and has a great hitting coach. Almost every guy they put in that lineup hits .300 plus with 10 homers right out of high school. You can not teach natural hitting ability, I am sorry you just can't. You can teach fielding through instruction and repetition. You can take a kid who can square up a baseball more than not and put some meat on his bones to hit bombs.
geeznotagain

Post by geeznotagain »

Vandy is indeed a good team. But we are not an elite team. We do not have an elite roster. Until something changes we will never be elite again. That “something” includes better recruiting and much higher involvement in the transfer market. I hate NIL and the transfer portal, but we have to deal with reality, not with things as we wished them to be.

Someone earlier mentioned the handful of transfers that we HAVE gotten the past couple of years. Good, but not nearly enough. Someone else mentioned the draw of Corbin, Nashville, and our university, and that lots of talent out there would love to come here because of those 3 factors, and because of the VandyBoys culture. I would like to think that is true, but I’m less sure of it than I once was. We need to make changes fast because (1) once the downward spiral begins, it will only accelerate, and (2) Corbs will not be our coach forever.
bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

Scrappy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:01 pm

This roster is so mangled due to roster mismanagement and horrible recruiting by the recruiting coordinator who also sucks as a hitting coach. RJ playing first because you don't recruit prototypical corner infielders and outfielders. Before Holcomb was finally put in the lineup, we had one guy over 6 foot and it was Hewett at 6'3 who is good for a bunt single every now and then and some stolen bases. Our infield is 5'11, 5'10, 5'11. 5'11. Our OF before Holcomb was 6'0 LaNeeve, feathery 6'3 Hewett and 5'11 Polk. All are the same, no natural hitting ability. Then you have Espinal who in his 4th year can finally hit mid major pitching but still sucks at SEC level pitching. Why can you not recruit some big guys who can hit to add to the plethora of petite fielders you have. We have a roster full of 6'4 plus pitchers.

If you look at the A&M roster and see guys that are 6-4, 6-6, and yes...TWO 6-8 guys...

Your point is immediately proven.
Molly levy

Post by Molly levy »

we would get killed on 5x5 basketball
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic