Current Roster

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.
Jason94

Re: Current Roster

Post by Jason94 »

mathguy wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:34 am Could you update with class year?

I know some of our transfers in are rising juniors, other grad student transfers for just 1 year. With all the new names I really can't keep straight who is who!
viewtopic.php?p=16969#p16969

Start here and add the players that have been added since I posted it.
rEvUrB

Post by rEvUrB »

I know some of our transfers in are rising juniors, other grad student transfers for just 1 year. With all the new names I really can't keep straight who is who!
Might was well get used to that. I see no reason to get excited because a guy has more than one year of eligibilty. Until something changes, expect most players w eligibilty to hit the portal again next season.
Jason94

Post by Jason94 »

rEvUrB wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:35 am

Might was well get used to that. I see no reason to get excited because a guy has more than one year of eligibilty. Until something changes, expect most players w eligibilty to hit the portal again next season.
Updated to include Wright
Utahozzie

Post by Utahozzie »

I love this roster and coach combination.

Excited for basketball for first time since Darius garland
UltimateVUFan

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Utahozzie wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:10 pm I love this roster and coach combination.

Excited for basketball for first time since Darius garland
Eek! Let’s hope this seasons pans out better than that one…
Versus75

Rivals still shows Vinson as a Vanderbilt commit

Post by Versus75 »

If he’s going to change schools, he must get to it.

And even though Vinson has “signed” with us, if another good transfer comes in or Lubin decides to stay can we just say: Sorry, you missed the boat.

In this day of open transfers, the player shouldn’t be able to hold the school to its “commitment.”
Nashmann

Re: Rivals still shows Vinson as a Vanderbilt commit

Post by Nashmann »

Versus75 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:07 am If he’s going to change schools, he must get to it.

And even though Vinson has “signed” with us, if another good transfer comes in or Lubin decides to stay can we just say: Sorry, you missed the boat.

In this day of open transfers, the player shouldn’t be able to hold the school to its “commitment.”
I don't think the players can hold a school to its commitment. Once they enter the portal they are not guaranteed a spot to come back unless the school wants them or allows them to come back JMO...
UltimateVUFan

Post by UltimateVUFan »

As far as I know, Vinson never signed an LOI. Neither party is committed.
commadore

Post by commadore »

mathguy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:49 pm
OldDude wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:17 pm Question. Current roster shows 10 players leaving room for 3 more not counting walk-ons, correct ?

However:
Vanderbilt University offers a full-tuition scholarship to households with an income of $150,000 or less, and many households with higher incomes still receive an Opportunity Vanderbilt Award. Vanderbilt also meets 100% of a family's demonstrated financial need, and financial aid awards do not include loans (they are grants)

This being the case could not a financially qualifying player, just like any and all other qualifying students, get a tuition free ride as a walk-on needing only NIL money to make up the books, room and board. A walkon at any other program in the country can be supported equally to any other student provided all are treated equally (no special benefits). EG, a walkon at UK is allowed to pay in state tuition if a resident.

It seems a loophole the size of a semi truck that VU could adopt.
In theory, yes, I believe so.

For years Vandy has exploited this in baseball. Say a family is deemed able to pay $15,000. At a public school like UT, they may have to offer this kid a 0.5 scholarship to cover the $15,000, and the remainder of the financial aid could be offered in loans. At a fellow private school like Stanford, that $15,000 is only a 0.25 scholarship, with maybe additional financial aid in loans. At Vandy that's a 0.25 scholarship and an opportunity Vanderbilt grant that takes care of the loan. So they kid pays less than at other schools, and we use less of a scholarship slot!

I'm not sure how that would apply to basketball though which is a head count sport. We could in theory do this, but then the kid is still on the hook for whatever their family is deemed able to pay. They may make more than that in NIL money, but you also have the fact that no one likes to be treated cheaply. You go to recruit a player and say "well, we don't want to offer you a scholarship, but..." and it's not really a great recruiting pitch.
And many states pay the entire tuition through lottery money.
mathguy

Post by mathguy »

commadore wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:22 am
mathguy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:49 pm

In theory, yes, I believe so.

For years Vandy has exploited this in baseball. Say a family is deemed able to pay $15,000. At a public school like UT, they may have to offer this kid a 0.5 scholarship to cover the $15,000, and the remainder of the financial aid could be offered in loans. At a fellow private school like Stanford, that $15,000 is only a 0.25 scholarship, with maybe additional financial aid in loans. At Vandy that's a 0.25 scholarship and an opportunity Vanderbilt grant that takes care of the loan. So they kid pays less than at other schools, and we use less of a scholarship slot!

I'm not sure how that would apply to basketball though which is a head count sport. We could in theory do this, but then the kid is still on the hook for whatever their family is deemed able to pay. They may make more than that in NIL money, but you also have the fact that no one likes to be treated cheaply. You go to recruit a player and say "well, we don't want to offer you a scholarship, but..." and it's not really a great recruiting pitch.
And many states pay the entire tuition through lottery money.
You made me use google! There are apparently more states that do this than I thought! I thought it was only a handful, but apparently there are more! Do keep in mind that in most cases those only apply to in-state students, whereas Opportunity Vanderbilt applies to all. That does limit the effectiveness in terms of this discussion.

But there are a lot more states offering free tuition plans than I realized. Likely because the two states I've lived in as an adult do not have such programs...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic