Current Roster

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.
OldDude

Re: Current Roster

Post by OldDude »

Question. Current roster shows 10 players leaving room for 3 more not counting walk-ons, correct ?

However:
Vanderbilt University offers a full-tuition scholarship to households with an income of $150,000 or less, and many households with higher incomes still receive an Opportunity Vanderbilt Award. Vanderbilt also meets 100% of a family's demonstrated financial need, and financial aid awards do not include loans (they are grants)

This being the case could not a financially qualifying player, just like any and all other qualifying students, get a tuition free ride as a walk-on needing only NIL money to make up the books, room and board. A walkon at any other program in the country can be supported equally to any other student provided all are treated equally (no special benefits). EG, a walkon at UK is allowed to pay in state tuition if a resident.

It seems a loophole the size of a semi truck that VU could adopt.
Jason94

Post by Jason94 »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:55 pm As of right now, it appears that we have the following players:
*updated 4/23/24

Carey
Collins
Nickel
Huffman
Edwards
McGlockton
Manon
Balil
Tanner
Lubin (unconfirmed?)
Roberts
Williams

The latter 4 players hadn't had anything specifically noting they were returning, but there names haven't appeared in the portal to my knowledge, so I'm currently counting them.

Am I missing anyone?
Seems like I am editing this every day with all the additions we've had. It does seem like we are getting close to a full roster now.
Jason94

Post by Jason94 »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:55 pm As of right now, it appears that we have the following players:
*updated 5/1/24

Carey
Collins
Nickel
Huffman
Edwards
McGlockton
Manon
Balil
Tanner
Roberts
Williams

The latter 4 players hadn't had anything specifically noting they were returning, but there names haven't appeared in the portal to my knowledge, so I'm currently counting them.

Am I missing anyone?
Update with the Lubin to the portal news - only 1 player from the previous staff left on the roster.
bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

Okpara 6-8 forward from Harvard is in the portal.

17ppg

Anybody heard anything about him?
vandamnit

Post by vandamnit »

Jason94 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:16 pm

Update with the Lubin to the portal news - only 1 player from the previous staff left on the roster.
I think technically, Roberts and Williams make 2 remaining, though you may not be counting him as I believe he was a walk-on player (who strangely started a lot).
dore74

Post by dore74 »

i guess the old adage is true: "you can't tell the players without a scorecard". My head is spinning and it seems we ain't done yet
mathguy

Post by mathguy »

OldDude wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:17 pm Question. Current roster shows 10 players leaving room for 3 more not counting walk-ons, correct ?

However:
Vanderbilt University offers a full-tuition scholarship to households with an income of $150,000 or less, and many households with higher incomes still receive an Opportunity Vanderbilt Award. Vanderbilt also meets 100% of a family's demonstrated financial need, and financial aid awards do not include loans (they are grants)

This being the case could not a financially qualifying player, just like any and all other qualifying students, get a tuition free ride as a walk-on needing only NIL money to make up the books, room and board. A walkon at any other program in the country can be supported equally to any other student provided all are treated equally (no special benefits). EG, a walkon at UK is allowed to pay in state tuition if a resident.

It seems a loophole the size of a semi truck that VU could adopt.
In theory, yes, I believe so.

For years Vandy has exploited this in baseball. Say a family is deemed able to pay $15,000. At a public school like UT, they may have to offer this kid a 0.5 scholarship to cover the $15,000, and the remainder of the financial aid could be offered in loans. At a fellow private school like Stanford, that $15,000 is only a 0.25 scholarship, with maybe additional financial aid in loans. At Vandy that's a 0.25 scholarship and an opportunity Vanderbilt grant that takes care of the loan. So they kid pays less than at other schools, and we use less of a scholarship slot!

I'm not sure how that would apply to basketball though which is a head count sport. We could in theory do this, but then the kid is still on the hook for whatever their family is deemed able to pay. They may make more than that in NIL money, but you also have the fact that no one likes to be treated cheaply. You go to recruit a player and say "well, we don't want to offer you a scholarship, but..." and it's not really a great recruiting pitch.
Utahozzie

Post by Utahozzie »

Is Collins official? Some sites still not confirming.
Jason94

Post by Jason94 »

Updated to include Hemenway and note that my assumption is that Williams will continue his walk-on status (as opposed to elminating him completely to avoid the conclusion that he might have entered the portal).
mathguy

Post by mathguy »

Could you update with class year?

I know some of our transfers in are rising juniors, other grad student transfers for just 1 year. With all the new names I really can't keep straight who is who!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic