National Anthem

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.
shsu2017

National Anthem

Post by shsu2017 »

Do our girls come out for the National Anthem? I hope they do.

I recall that under our previous coach they made a decision not to.

This issue has heated up because of LSUs failure to do so against Iowa.
ndorefin

Re: National Anthem

Post by ndorefin »

According to Mulkey(????), they have a routine before every game and they were following their routine to go to the dressing room at 12 minutes before game time ….she stated it was not intentional! ( 😉
vandy05

Post by vandy05 »

Mulkey is next to the last coach in the country who would have her players miss the national anthem on purpose. She handles the anthem the way that I would prefer most teams handle it, there is no need for the players to be involved in the national anthem. In many ways I think the intertwining of sports and our anthem is a little weird (I find the NFL's co-oping of the armed forces even weirder). The players should be able to focus on the game and need not participate in any pageantry, IMHO.
shsu2017

Post by shsu2017 »

Iowa seemed focused on the game just fine while honoring those who have protected our freedom
kslaught

Post by kslaught »

Not trying to be obscene, but the saying goes "an opinion is like an a-hole, everyone's got one". Mine is simple: take a couple of minutes to pay respects to this country and those that have helped provide us what we have. Doing this should not detract from any "focus" the players need for the game. I will also say that Mulkey is probably stating a fact, no intentional disrespect was intended. My reply to that, make an intentional effort to respect your country, it shouldn't interfere too much with your teams routine.
dunc77

Post by dunc77 »

When LSU played in Nashville this year, they did not come out on the floor until after the National Anthem and Lift Every Voice. So apparently it's not just the 12 minute routine.
shsu2017

Post by shsu2017 »

They also disrespected Lift Every Voice?
dunc77

Post by dunc77 »

I don't want to try to figure out what goes on in Mulkey's head.

In fact, I searched, but couldn't find a meme of Bart Simpson writing "I will not take the bait on Mulkey" on the blackboard.
commadore

Post by commadore »

dunc77 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:15 pm When LSU played in Nashville this year, they did not come out on the floor until after the National Anthem and Lift Every Voice. So apparently it's not just the 12 minute routine.
I am sincerely disappointed that Vanderbilt would play Lift Every Voice. There is one National Anthem. What happened to “One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice foe all.”
mathguy

Post by mathguy »

commadore wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:21 pm
dunc77 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:15 pm When LSU played in Nashville this year, they did not come out on the floor until after the National Anthem and Lift Every Voice. So apparently it's not just the 12 minute routine.
I am sincerely disappointed that Vanderbilt would play Lift Every Voice. There is one National Anthem. What happened to “One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice foe all.”
*shrug* They played Lift Every Voice. I've seen Super Bowls where in addition to the national anthem they bring someone out to sing America the Beautiful ... are we complaining about that too? Seems like you might just want something to complain about.
Locked Previous topicNext topic