Recruiting Rundown

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.
MikeADore

Re: Recruiting Rundown

Post by MikeADore »

GJKVandy84 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:15 pm Any update on Mikayla Blakes?
Not a word. Don't know what to make of it.
MikeADore

Post by MikeADore »

I've been waiting for months to make this update to the recruiting rundown page. :mrgreen:

bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

What a get!

This is like getting Garland in men's hoops or Sonny in baseball.
MikeADore

Post by MikeADore »

Updated the thread to add 6'2 freshman Finley Parker to the known/possible interest list. She's a 14-year-old freshman (class of '27) from Woodstock, Ga., which is about 25 miles northwest of Atlanta. Great shooter who plays 1 thru 5 positions for her River Ridge High School team that won a state championship last year. Has a 4.0 GPA and always seems very poised. Has a chance to develop into something elite. She and some of our coaches are connected on social media.
Charlestonalum

Post by Charlestonalum »

Never too early to commit
MikeADore

Post by MikeADore »

Updating the thread to move Webb School's Daria Biriuk from the "known/possible interest" list to the offer list for '25 based on the following info from a Tennessean article listing the top female players in Middle Tennessee. It's from November:

Daria Biriuk, Webb School - Bell Buckle: "The junior shooting guard averaged 16.5 points in the Division II-A state semifinal and championship game to help the Lady Feet win their third consecutive state title. She holds offers from BYU, Louisville, Vanderbilt and Maryland."

Biriuk is a 6'1 junior who plays all over the floor for Webb's elite program. She even plays a lot of point guard, but I doubt she'll see much dedicated action at that position in college. She'll likely be a wing type, but her ball handling skills will be an asset there. Excellent shooter. She plays summer ball with Tennessee Flight, which is the organization that Ashley McElhiney helps run.

I think Vandy has a great shot at getting her. Based on the known offer list for '25, coach Ralph is concentrating heavily on 6'0 to 6'3 wings who can score at all three levels. Biriuk fits that mold.

Thanks to Vandyfan52 for passing along the information from the Tennessean. The following is a group of instagram photos I posted in September of Daria Biriuk's visit to Vanderbilt:

MikeADore

Post by MikeADore »

Still my favorite '25 recruit. Shooting 67 percent from the field and 56.5 on three pointers in her high school season. Recently visited UConn to add to multiple visits to Vandy, Notre Dame and Louisville as well as trips to North Carolina and many other top-tier programs.

Doesn't seem as engaged with Vandy on social media as she previously was. I fear the UConns and Notre Dames can put stars in a kid's eyes, and hometown Louisville is always a threat. I've always predicted we will make any finalist list she releases but have never had the guts to predict we actually get her. I'm even more hesitant now.

MikeADore

Post by MikeADore »

Updating to remove class of '25 offer to Brynn McGoughy, a 6'3 player from Colfax, Washington. She released a final 12 today that does not include Vandy. Not sure there was ever any real connection with her, at least nothing public. She's a close friend with summer league teammate Avery Howell, who has committed to Southern Cal. That's the SC on Brynn's list. I'm guessing she'll wind up there or at UConn.

MikeADore

Post by MikeADore »

Updated known/possible interest list to include Raina Tomasicka, a just-turned 19-year-old player from Latvia who has represented her country in the European championships (highlight vid below). She has also played professionally in France. I have no idea the level of interest, but Kevin Demille and Ashley Earley are following her on instagram along with Aga Makurat, who no doubt knows her from international play, and, oddly enough, Ryanne Allen. Does that mean Tomasicka has visited? Who knows. Maybe Allen just follows her because her coaches and teammate do.

There is no doubt this young lady is an SEC talent, maybe even an SEC star in the making. She is also followed by a UConn coach. Anyway, it's something to keep an eye on, and I'd expect if it's going to happen it would be this year. There are a million factors involved in these decisions. I'd be happy to see her in black and gold.

MikeADore

Post by MikeADore »

One of the top players in the '25 class (ESPN #12), Addison Deal, committed to Iowa today. She had major offers from all over the country, including Vandy. I was deluding myself that we might have a chance since she plays at Katie Lou's former high school, Mater Dei in Santa Ana, Calif. No such luck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic