First UNLV, now US News

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.
dore74

First UNLV, now US News

Post by dore74 »

Vanderbilt Blasts US News Over Slide Down in College Rankings

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... e-rankings
Charlestonalum

Re: First UNLV, now US News

Post by Charlestonalum »

Yeah all alumni got the message from the Chancellor and Provost. We dropped but are in top 20. Going to be hard to overcome the new metrics.
Johnmn555

Post by Johnmn555 »

A bunch of woke nonsense. Admissions selectivity and faculty quality no longer considered, replaced by the nebulous concept of "social mobility." Basically all private Universities whose student bodies include a significant number of already well off students took a dive. These rankings are going to get lose their influence. Berkeley and UCLA, whose student scholastic profiles have plummeted since they refuse to even look at standardized test scores, have seen their ratings jump while their student quality went down. That about says it all for these ratings.
buffy

Post by buffy »

We've been chasing these rankings for years. Then they go change the math on us.

We get what we deserve. The focus should always be on the outcome of the students, nothing else.
jpmando

Post by jpmando »

Easy to repair.

Got to pay the "rankers" more. Problem solved.
dore74

Post by dore74 »

I’m with Buffy, chasing rankings is bush league and complaining about it is even worse.

But if we’re gonna play this game why did some of our peers, Northwestern and Duke, hold serve if it’s so slanted to the public schools.
docdore

Post by docdore »

dore74 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:28 pm I’m with Buffy, chasing rankings is bush league and complaining about it is even worse.

But if we’re gonna play this game why did some of our peers, Northwestern and Duke, hold serve if it’s so slanted to the public schools.
does jpmando's suspicious post possibly answer this question?
Fayettedore

Post by Fayettedore »

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/pit ... 32bcf.html

VU plans a webinar on Sept. 29 for alumni (and no, I'm not among that elite group).

An excerpt from the Scene article:

"Vanderbilt is widely considered one of the nation’s best universities for undergraduates. Its graduate programs — particularly its law school and medical school — are heralded internationally as first-class programs. However, without the formal wreath of the Ivy League or cultural clout of schools like Stanford and MIT, Vanderbilt has looked to USNWR for formal recognition as a top-tier university, particularly as college admissions have become nationally competitive throughout the late 1990s and 2000s."

EDITED TO ADD: This NYT piece does a pretty good job of describing the changes to the system and various reactions to it. VU is not alone among the privates in complaining. Prominently quotes Susan Wente, currently president of Wake Forest and formerly Vanderbilt's provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/18/us/u ... nking.html
Last edited by Fayettedore on Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
vandy05

Post by vandy05 »

buffy wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:33 am We've been chasing these rankings for years. Then they go change the math on us.

We get what we deserve. The focus should always be on the outcome of the students, nothing else.
If I didn't already know I like you buffy, this confirmed it. You do right by the students then you're going to nail it. Chasing the rankings is a tough way to run things. As the saying goes, live by the sword...

In all seriousness, I work at a school that sends multiple kids to Ivies each year, Northwestern, Duke, all the top notch places along with local big public universities and all other types of schools. Our college counselor says that Vanderbilt is at the top of the list for colleges that evilly game the admissions game for students. They wait list the heck out of kids and drag them along and admit a bunch of kids off the wait list. So they've gotten a reputation of taking kids off the wait list so they get exceptional students onto their waitlist and because of the reputation, those kids shun other schools hoping to get off the Vandy waitlist. Makes it very hard on those kids and their families while they wait.

Apparently other schools have gotten really good at identifying the kids they want and going after them aggressively. At Vandy, we're still gaming things pretty tough, probably in an effort to climb rankings.
Charlestonalum

Post by Charlestonalum »

dore74 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:28 pm I’m with Buffy, chasing rankings is bush league and complaining about it is even worse.

Good question: rankings do matter whether we think they are accurate or not and that is why people are pissed. I do agree it should be about the students as well as the faculty. At great places both get the most out of and for the university. In an ideal university everyone is learning, happy and helping each other be all they can be.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic