A polite reminder for bryce drew apologists

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.
Jason94

Re: A polite reminder for bryce drew apologists

Post by Jason94 »

bhoyal wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:55 am
Jason94 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:25 am
bhoyal wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:08 am Back to back 20 loss seasons
First Vanderbilt Basketball Coach EVER With a 20 Loss Season
Worst losing streak in program history
Worst SEC record in school history
Worst league record in 70 years
Drew was definitely the wrong coach for us, and he put together the worst season we've ever experienced. His previous or subsequent success doesn't change this fact and any stumbles by the current coach doesn't make the decision to let him go an incorrect one. There was simply no scenario that I could see where he would have eventually succeeded.

This applies to a lesser degree to CVBK, who didn't crash and burn so spectacularly, but never was able to beat UK or come up with any signature wins. That he was more successful at subsequent stops doesn't change that it wasn't a great fit.
Well said, plus VBK is a VU alum and was SEC MVP and took VU to an SEC co-championship and big dance when that was hard to get.

Yet, the drew apologists cheered when VBK was let go and now boo-hoo incessantly over drew who had zero connection to Vandy. It reminds me of the some of the worst of what gets posted of VS.com or at least did back when I looked at it. I always wondered how they took it when their guy Will Healy failed so horribly at low-mid Charlotte that he was fired mid-season.
I think there was logic behind both hires when they were made. On paper brining in an all-time great and alumnus would seem like a great move, much like bringing in a mid-major with previous success in making the tournament. Sometimes it doesn't work out and that doesn't necessarily make that individual a bad coach, just a bad fit for the university. When you really look back at CBD's three seasons, outside of the first season where the team basically went back to the CKS offense and turned things around mid-season (we were 8-10 overall at that one point), his records were not good despite having some really good talent. The 2018 season was a disaster but nobody really discusses it because of how much worse the following season was. But to go 12-20 when you have multiple 1000 point scorers who are seniors as well as a future NBA talent in Saben Lee that is a horrible outcome. Especially since Roberson and LaChance had great seasons that year.
docdore

Post by docdore »

VandyManners wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:11 am There is only one measuring stick for me as a fan. Can you recruit and coach a team into consistent NCAA tournament appearances. A consistent NCAA tournament team means you are winning a lot of great games throughout the season and should be a fun product to watch. I am a very patient fan. I did not expect CJS to turn it around overnight. However, we are in year 5 and still have not been selected for the BIG Dance during his tenure and will not again this year. When is enough, enough? The right hire could turn this around sooner than 5 years. I believe a good/great coach should be able to come to Vanderbilt and find 10-12 guys from across the nation, that are top caliber athletes, and are good enough students that can graduate from a school like Vandy. Finding 10-12 guys is different than an entire football team. I do not expect the football program to ever be more than it is, but the basketball program at one time was the crown jewel of Vandy sports. I still believe it can be again with the right hire. Bring the magic back to Memorial, please.
coach stack has numerous apologists on this board, but just as drew's teams (and their results) were HIS, stack's teams are HIS. they start much too slowly (games and seasons), they've never made the dance and the current one stinks badly (likely multifactorial as discussed above). the ojt experiment that malcolm turner left us just hasn't produced the hoped-for results unfortunately and things are going in the wrong direction. other schools would be making a change....but we likely won't.
cjdore

Post by cjdore »

Who is defending Coach Drew on here? I feel about the same way with Stack as Drew......we CAN do better!
bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

cjdore wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:45 pm Who is defending Coach Drew on here? I feel about the same way with Stack as Drew......we CAN do better!
There were several a few days ago. Some even went so far as to misrepresent the type of "school" where he now works.
Golddore68

Post by Golddore68 »

Drew wouldn’t have had the losing that you’re referring to if Garland hadn’t gotten injured early in the season. Losing him meant the difference between having a dismally bad season and competing for the SEC title.

Drew did take us to the NCAA Tournament once in three seasons, which is one more time than Stackhouse has been able to do in four seasons.

As far as VBK, the administration really screwed him on Ron Mercer. He was the type of player who would have led us to SEC championships. He led UK to SEC championships and a national title. He wanted to go to Vanderbilt and VBK recruited him but the administration said No sorry you’re not going to college here.

Stackhouse was given a bad situation but other SEC coaches have been in equally bad situations and won quickly. Alabama was at the bottom of the SEC when they changed coaches and in two years they won the SEC and went deep into the NCAA tournament. This year, Ole Miss was in bad shape under Kermit but Chris Beard has them undefeated so far. Stackhouse hasn’t been able to do that.
ForeverHopeful

Post by ForeverHopeful »

Do you not understand the challenges VU faces with recruiting? The academics, the size of the alumni base, the whole NIT thing. Again- Drew did NOT have the support of the team! Yes, Garland could have carried them a long way, but once he was gone, the team was lost and had no idea what to do.
Golddore68

Post by Golddore68 »

ForeverHopeful wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:57 pm Do you not understand the challenges VU faces with recruiting? The academics, the size of the alumni base, the whole NIT thing. Again- Drew did NOT have the support of the team! Yes, Garland could have carried them a long way, but once he was gone, the team was lost and had no idea what to do.
How long will recruiting disadvantages be used as an excuse to defend bad coaches? Again, Stackhouse is in his fifth season. He should have figured it out by now.

But if you guys want to keep defending him and using that as the excuse then heck let’s just keep Stackhouse and Lea as long as they want to coach. Because apparently it’s impossible to recruit and win at Vanderbilt in these sports.
bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

Golddore68 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:07 am
How long will recruiting disadvantages be used as an excuse to defend bad coaches? Again, Stackhouse is in his fifth season. He should have figured it out by now.

But if you guys want to keep defending him and using that as the excuse then heck let’s just keep Stackhouse and Lea as long as they want to coach. Because apparently it’s impossible to recruit and win at Vanderbilt in these sports.
Words of wisdom from Mrs. Drew herself. Doesn't GCU have a game on TV to go watch?
Dorewithaflare

Post by Dorewithaflare »

Never a worst than Richard Schmitt
Fayettedore

Post by Fayettedore »

bhoyal wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:21 am
Golddore68 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:07 am

Words of wisdom from Mrs. Drew herself. Doesn't GCU have a game on TV to go watch?
Seems like there are a couple of Ms. Stacks on here too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic