Which game did we play in Memphis 70s or 80s

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.
GoVandy

Which game did we play in Memphis 70s or 80s

Post by GoVandy »

that it rained through the entire game? I was thinking it was a bowl game, but maybe not. Thanks for your help
Last edited by GoVandy on Mon May 06, 2024 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abvandy

Re: Which game did we play in Memphis 70s or 80s

Post by abvandy »

Miss State - Cow Bells ...?? Watson Brown injured early in game & never the same after.

Left Nashville it was sunny/70s .... got to Memphis it was raining, cold and MISERABLE. Of course we didn't have coats/rain gear with us. One of the few Vandy games I ever left early.

Your memories may vary.

CONQUER!!..., and PREVAIL!!!
vandylifer

Post by vandylifer »

I'm thinking you are talking about the Nov 19, '88 game at Memphis - it POURED rain all the way driving down and throughout the game. Vandy started the year 2-0. A missed last second field goal vs Duke on Oct 1 kept us from going 3-1 (IMO that started the end of the Watson Brown tenure). We did beat Florida that season and had good opportunities to beat Ole Miss, Kentucky, Army, Memphis and Tennessee. A few plays here or there (the story of Vandy football) and we are anywhere from 5-6 to 9-2 . . . the only games we were totally out of were Alabama and Georgia. Sure wish that season had turned out differently.
Golddore68

Post by Golddore68 »

We didn’t play Memphis in 88. We did lose to Duke on a field goal at the end but Memphis wasn’t on the schedule. They called themselves Memphis State then, BTW.

We did play Memphis in 89. I don’t remember it raining all game but I do remember that was one of the games the refs screwed us. In my top 10 list of games we lost because of the refs, that game is on the list.

We lost 13-10. We were driving for the winning touchdown with under two minutes left. We had a really good running back that year, it was either Carl Woods or Everett Crawford, I think.

We ran a play when we threw a short pass to the RB and he got a first down inside the 20. His knee was down and he fell and the ball rolled out of his arms. It was one of those “the ground can’t cause a fumble” things.

He may even have intentionally been trying to roll the ball to the ref so he could spot it and stop the clock.

Except the refs DID call it a fumble. Memphis recovered and ran out the clock.

Of course this was WAY before the days of instant replay overruling refs calls. TV replay clearly showed his knee down before the ball rolled out. It was televised on one of those local independent channels with crappy camera coverage (Channel 30 or 17) but even with the bad cameras you could clearly see the RB’s knee was down.

Had it not been for that bad call I have no doubt we would have scored on that last drive and won that game.
Harpo Marx

Post by Harpo Marx »

1988 or 1989 game. Pouring rain all the way from Nashville throughout the game. I think Eric Jones was our QB. Controversial call I remember was a MSU defensive back going over our receiver's back to make the interception and return it for a TD. Receiver may have been Boo Mitchell. Pass interference in this unbiased set of eyes. Miserable day and evening.
vandylifer

Post by vandylifer »

Harpo, you remember very well -- we wondered can a DB just wipe out a receiver as they go for the ball? Vandy media guide says we played Memphis (State) on Nov. 19, 1988 and yes, Eric Jones was the QB but according to this Newspapers.com article from Nov 20, 1988 he was injured with a blindside hit and John Gromos came in for him. It's early in the 4th Q and Vandy is driving down 14-9 when Gromos throws to Boo Mitchell as Harpo mentions above . . . .
https://www.newspapers.com/image/112992 ... derbilt%22
Seadog73

Post by Seadog73 »

As for Watson, I don't remember the game but I think it was his 2nd, maybe 3rd year after his first varsity showing against Alabama, a 14-10 VU win. He had a knee injury, but it was the crutches during rehab that ruined his future. They caused permanent injury to his right arm so that he basically couldn't throw any more. Very sad end to a very promising career.
smith2

Post by smith2 »

The Cleveland Browns quarterback recently suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in 2023, not a knee injury. ARcourt
There haven't been any reports about crutches causing permanent nerve damage in his arm.
Seadog73

Post by Seadog73 »

We were talking about former VU player and coach Watson Brown, not Cleveland QB Deshaun Watson.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic